Friday, March 29, 2013

Super 8... and mavelous music

I want to begin this post by saying that you have to click on it to see it completely.
Yes, maybe you knew it... but maybe not. So, if you are reading this without click on the post (title, picture, letters, whatever), and let a little window opens up with the entire post, you will not be able to read it completely, or even leave a comment. 'Cause this is just a preview.

Now, let's begin with this post.
Last week, our photography teacher gave us a lesson about "film's formats". He spoke -between one thousand topics completely differents, and far away from the main title- about the 35mm film. That was the first film's format that was created by the Lummiere brothers. And all of us were like "yeah, I know that", because the last year, we spent like six months talking about them. But don't rush, incredibly, all I can remeber is that they are the fathers of cinema.
The new thing about that class, was the fact that I didn't know that the japaneses were the ones that took the 35mm film, and began to cut it.
They started with the 17.5mm film, to reduce costs. That was the "official half" of the 35mm film. But it was unsuccessful. So they just left it at 16mm.
But they weren't satisfied!
So they took that 16mm film, and cut it. Bringing to world the 8mm filmstrips. The Super 8 films.


Being these last ones the cheapest ones, and the ones that everybody prefered to have for home-tapes, indie films, or just to have a video camera. 

But, besides all this history, while the teacher continued talking, I just was thinking about the Steven Spielberg's film "Super 8".
Do you saw it?
I love that movie! And the main reason is this group of "filmmaking addicts" that he presents. The group had it's director, cameraman, boom operator, actors and makeup artist! They were an amazing -and pretty young- indie production team. That catched me right away.
Sadly, my mom doesn't share with me this obsession. She didn't like the movie so much. But there's just one thing that she totally loves as me. It's soundtrack.
We, literally share the sentence: that music is marvelous!
I have this great attraction for the films soundtracks. To me, that's the better part of the movie. And it goes to the point were no matter if the movie sucks... LIKE IT REALLY SUCKS. If the music touches my soul, I will see it twenty times. No matter how awful are the dialogs, or photography, etc..
There is a lot of soundtracks that I love, but In the photography class, I was just thinking of this one. And suddenly I remember this scene. In fact, is the only scene of the movie where my mom leaves everything to see it. She could be on the kitchen, taking out a suffle, but when she hears the scene's theme, "letting go" (yeah, I already know all the tracks names), she runs to the living room, and sits beside me.

The entire town it's freaking out by the alien spaceship above the water tank, and the metallic things flying all around in the air. Suddenly, the kid finds his father, and they hug each other really tightly. But, the alien scene is so fantastic that they have to watch. And, like magic... his locket is up in the air. But immediatly he takes it. And the locket opens.
Father and son, can't avoid to take their eyes to the woman's picture. His wife... his mother. 
And the music reaches its peak.
The kid opens his hand, and the locket flies to the water tank. Between all this marvelous moment.
And in the very second  when the locket touches the water tank, it explodes. And the spaceship takes fly to the stars.

And we are like crying, and sobbing! It's the film's greatest part.
My mom leaves the living room completely satisfied, and we say in unison: it's my favorite part! 

See you later,
Jhonny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words are the complements of this post. Thanks for taking the time :)